Here is a list of companies acting within the restaurant sector and affected by commodity prices.
|Big Restaurants and Fundamentals (Click to enlarge)|
At first, higher commodity prices lead to lower gross margins. Companies have to increase prices to keep net profit on stable levels. Here is the decisive factor hidden: Does the company have so much pricing power to establish new rates without losing volumes and at least market share? If volumes goes down, the profit margin follows if other cost factors couldn’t reduced.
Food is a product for that it is difficult to enforce high prices as for luxury products. It is tough to brand food because people always count in price per liter or kilo. A successful company within the sector has to organize its business in a way that allows the company to sell high volume or to offer an additional service. This is the only way to generate higher profit margins.
· Foods stabilizes Portfolio?
· Colgate-Palmolive: Dividend Stock of the Month August 2010
· Kraft Foods: HY-Figures better as expected?
· Procter Gamble – Consumer Giant on Track?
· Best Dividend Paying Stock List as of 08/2010
· Davide Campari-Milano SpA – Value Stock with 19.7% EBIT-Margin
· Woolworths – Australian Retailer with 4.22 Percent Dividend Yield